Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Hidradenitis Suppurativa

I was Diagnosed with HS back in 2008 by my family physician after I used Axe Deodorant once camping and my armpits became inflamed, the bumps never went away and then it got worse and spread. He sent me to a dermatologist and he found that the event exacerbated what was laying dormant for years which turned out to be HS. It's been hell ever since that day. I manage most days with positive enforcement but It's gotten to my head. Most days I don't feel good about my body and the constant collection of scars and dark markings that I've accumulated. My boyfriend is very supportive and such a beautiful soul who thinks i'm gorgeous no matter what. I just wish I could wear a sleeveless top without someone pointing out the marks on my arms and thinking the worst.
Most days I find myself Going through tedious routines to manage the re-appearance of new and old boils that pop up around my thighs and under breast area that are the most painful. I've had to go through many sensitive skin care routines to perfect the right combination for myself and it changes based of the season. I try to spend my days with my best friend and absolute soulmate Cheryl who keeps me headed in the right path. 
Given what I know now, I would recommend to others, Find a routine that works best for your skin, not all creams work for everyone. Mine is a combination of skin care creams, powders and soaps. Some being; witch hazel, talc powder, penaten cream for baby rash, dove coconut deodorant for women, 90% rubbing alcohol, olive oil, Nivea, Nioxin, Noxzema creme, and crushed tylenol.
My life has changed in this way, My loving man is very positive in reinforcing my beautiful qualities and that he loves me enough for the both of us. I have worked hard over the past few years to loose over 160lbs and having PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) to now not having PCOS and on my way to having my own little family in the future. I breathe better and don't cry (as much) about the little things. The pain gets to me sometimes especially in hotter weather it exacerbates the swelling and joint pains around the soars. Just smile you will get through this.
What Is Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a condition that causes painful bumps under your skin in the hair roots near some of your sweat glands. It’s also known as acne inversa.
The bumps can get infected. When that happens, pockets form under your skin and fill with pus. They can smell bad when they break open. They can also leave scars.
There's no cure for HS, but treatments and lifestyle changes can bring some relief and cut down on flare-ups.
Because this condition lasts a long time, it can be frustrating, and it can take an emotional toll on you.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa Causes

Doctors aren't sure what causes hidradenitis suppurativa, but it’s probably tied to your genes and to things in the world around you.
It's more common in women than in men. It’s also more likely if you’re overweight, if you smoke, and if you’ve had acne. About a third of people who get HS have a relative with it.
The skin problems start when hair follicles get blocked. You often get the first symptoms in your teens or 20s.
You don’t get HS because you don’t wash enough, because you use deodorants or powders, or because you shave your underarms. You also can't catch it from someone else or give it to another person.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa Symptoms

HS usually affects both sides of your body. You can get the bumps in one place or in several areas at once.
The first warning sign might be a single painful bump that gets inflamed. It can last days or months. You could have repeated outbreaks of a single bump in the same location or the same general area.
Besides turning into pockets of pus, the bumps can be itchy. Your skin might have small pitted areas with blackheads.
Some people get tunnels under their skin, called sinus tracts, which connect different areas of HS outbreaks.
The bumps and leaky pockets can go away and come back. In severe cases, they don't fully heal.

Common Sites for Hidradenitis Suppurativa

The blockages usually happen in areas where you have hair or where your skin rubs together, such as:
  • Under your arms
  • In your groin
  • Between your buttocks
  • Between your thighs
  • Under your breasts
  • In the folds of your stomach
  • On the nape of your neck
  • Behind your ears

Hidradenitis Suppurativa Stages

HS is divided into three stages, based on how severe it is, called Hurley stages.
  • Hurley stage I: A single bump with no sinus tracts
  • Hurley stage II: More than one bump but little tunneling
  • Hurley stage III: Multiple bumps with a lot of sinus tracts and scars, involving an entire area of your body

Surgery. If your bumps grow deep into your skin, you might have a surgical procedure. If you're having problems in a small area, your doctor can cut open pockets to drain pus. This gives you short-term relief.
In a procedure called deroofing, your doctor turns deep, painful bumps and pockets into scars that won’t hurt. It's an option if you have painful bumps that come back over and over.
Another type of surgery involves cutting out skin in the problem spots. Afterward, your doctor will do a skin graft. They take skin from another part of your body and use it to cover the area where you had the operation.
Laser surgery is another option to clear new, deep bumps. It destroys hair follicles, the shafts in your skin where hair grows. You may need several treatments.
Surgery can help with stubborn or severe cases of HS, but for some people, it may come back in the same area or somewhere else.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa Complications

HS that is severe or isn’t treated can have complications over time, including:
  • Deep pockets of infection (abscesses)
  • Trouble moving because of scar tissue
  • Hollow passages inside your body (fistulas)
  • Lymph node problems
  • Arthritis
  • A skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma
  • Depression and isolation

No comments:

Post a Comment